Excimer Laser Refractive Surgery (LASIK)
This 2 day course is designed to provide the basics for excimer laser refractive surgery, including LASIK, surface laser treatment (LASEK/PRK) as well as SMILE.
The course involves screening & patient selection, treatment techniques, imaging, side-effects, complications and their management. The use of different excimer laser
and femtosecond laser platforms is also covered. Practical demonstration includes use of the VISX Star S4-IR, Schwind and Intralase iFS lasers.
• To gain a basic understanding of refractive surgery, and acquire basic knowledge needed to perform such surgery.
• To better understand Indications for surgery, techniques of surgery and post-op management.
• To view surgery videos and participate in wetlabs for LASIK and surface treatment.
• To engage in Q&A with faculty.
• At the end of the course you should have the basic knowledge to perform refractive surgery
• Excimer & femtosecond lasers
• LASIK vs Surface treatments
• Wound healing in PRK & LASIK
• Patient selection guidelines
• Complications I (intraoperative)
• Wavefront Technology
• Objective scans vs Manifest refraction
• Biometry post-refractive surgery
• SMILE Femto Refractive Surgery
• Management of blepharitis & dry eye post-op
• Ectasia (prevention and management)
• Audit, databases and algorithm adjustments
• “My laser techniques video session”- LASEK, LASIK, SMILE
• Live Surgery
• Wet Lab sessions - Excimer/Intralase (iFS), RCO exam/miscellaneous
• Open discussion
• Consultants and ophthalmologists considering the performance of refractive surgery or those who are managing refractive patients.
• Optometrists who are involved in the management of refractive patients.
Course Team: PGME Course Administrator
Course organisers: Julian Stevens
Current Bookable Dates
Sorry, currently there are no products/events available for this category, please take time to browse our other categories displayed on the left hand side of the screen or please try again at a later date.